John Laessig wrote:
>    Since I don't want a 16ft ballscrew or belt drive system on the long
> y-axis I am designing, I think a rack and pinion would be my next best
> option.
Have you priced linear motors lately?  They do sell them by the
foot, because either the windings or the magnets have to run the
full length of the travel.  You also need a position feedback
device (encoder) that long, and that will also be quite expensive.

Also, just because the motor itself, is non-contact, doesn't
mean the entire AXIS is non-contact.  There still has to be some
kind of guideway with rollers of some sort to keep the motor
armature from slamming into the magnets.

Jon