Hello Andrew,

I just looked at the NIST site. The Robocrane is quite a complex
project. I suspect that EMC should be able to serve as the foundation
for your project since you can plug in your own kinematics and EMC is
highly configurable hardware interface wise. I suspect the Robocrane is
a step further in the hexapod evolution, so you should maybe study a
search on "hexapod" at linuxcnc.org. Check these:

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Alex_Joni's_Toy
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Koppi's_Toy
http://cvs.linuxcnc.org/lxr/source/configs/hexapod-sim/

Be prepared to create your own C code.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to study the basics by
getting a demo CD working:

http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/21/4/lang,en/

Then interface an encoder to your parallel port using the etch-servo
configuration (in Sample Configurations, study etch.ini and etch.hal for
connection information) and a NetMOS parallel port card ("lspci -v" will
come in handy).

Then maybe drive a stepper or DC servo motor like this setup:

http://emergent.unpy.net/projects/01142347802

I found a good motor and encoder in a junk Epson C-80 printer (sure
hated to see that printer go).

Good luck. I'll try to help, if I can. Others here are better at the
nitty-gritty stuff.

Kirk Wallace