On Friday 19 October 2007, ben lipkowitz wrote:
>you could try autotrace with the -centerline option. it wouldn't give you
>the z-depth for different widths with a conical cutter, but it might look
>ok anyway.

Humm, when was that option added to truetypetracer?  I've just been letting it
cut the outlines, which with the font I was using, didn't look all that bad,
I made a nameplate that's mounted beside the front door, on brass kickplate
material.  Also the one on my mailbox.

Another possibility might be to print it, scan it, & use potrace on the scan.

>On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Patrick Ferrick wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone could suggest some open-source software for
>> generating toolpaths for making signs.
>>
>> Apparently the preferred kind of font is called a "stick font" or
>> "single stroke font" and I have found that there are quite a few
>> commercial packages that do this.  We have been using QCAD's CAMExpert
>> demo version (the full version of which is very reasonably priced) but
>> both provide only one such font.

Cheers, Gene
I know the answer!  The answer lies within the heart of all mankind!
The answer is twelve?  I think I'm in the wrong building.
                -- Charles Schulz