Ahhh.
If it's slightly off center, drilling the center hole will tend towards the center. Then, let the tailstock take up the slop.

I know what you mean about light cuts. I've tightened up the bearings on the ... shaft that holds the chuck. When I make a heavy cut, it wants to push the shaft up, and I can sometimes see it in the cut as chatter.

Thanks.

Stuart Stevenson wrote:
    You don't say what your lathe is. Does it have a tailstock? If so,
turn the end and leave about .010 (.020 on the diameter - .270) stock.
Then use a combination center drill and countersink to drill a center
hole for a center in the tailstock. Loosen the chuck and slide the
part out of the chuck. Chuck the part with the minimum amount
possible. Use the tailstock center to support the turned end with the
shoulder. This will allow you to dial in the shaft for the entire
length. When you have it dialed in then lightly machine the turned end
to the diameter you want. Cut lightly. Take your time. The best would
be a toolpost grinder.
    If your chuck doesn't have a tailstock find a lathe with a tailstock.
thanks
Stuart

begin:vcard
fn:Brian Michalk
n:Michalk;Brian
adr:;;2204 Lockwood Cove;Austin;TX;78723;USA
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;home:512-928-1112
tel;cell:512-699-4037
x-mozilla-html:FALSE