I wanted to have a real motor/encoder system for my office EMC instead
of using a simulated configuration. So, ruined a surplus printer to get
the motor/encoder assembly, which I connected to an L298 and a +12 Volt
motor supply. When I got to testing it, I had a hard time with tuning.
On occasion, the motor would not move. I connected a voltmeter to the
motor leads and found around a Volt going to the motor. Then I increased
P until I got about 2.5 Volts and still no movement, so I helped it
rotate, at which, it jumped to the commanded position and started
oscillating. So, my thinking is, the the commutator configuration does
not allow for a constant torque vs. voltage at every angle and the
system friction is high enough to cause a stall at reasonable P values
at certain start points. This seems like it might be a common problem
for small systems where a torque/friction ratio might be fairly low. Or,
is this more of a problem with inexpensive DC motors. This motor was
designed to position paper to within a few thousandths of an inch plus
traverse the length of the paper in about a second, so from my
experience, the printer designers must have spent a fair amount of time
with tuning. Do Etch-Servo setups have the same problem?

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe