Subject: Problems Compiling/Running
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 19:22:20 -0700
From: Andrew Ayre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: EMC List <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

Hi! For various reasons I have chosen to build my own kernel and compile
EMC2. I'm nearly there but stumbling at the last stage.

I have patched a vanilla 2.6.22 kernel with RTAI. My PC boot and runs
normally and I can execute all the RTAI scripts in the testsuite. I am
using Ubuntu 7.10.

I compiled the CVS HEAD revision of EMC2 and installed it. When I run
it, after picking a configuration (Axis Sim) it segfaults.

Next I tried version 2.1.7 of EMC2. This fails to compile with:

/home/andy/Desktop/emc2/emc2/src/rtapi/rtai_rtapi.c:128: error: size of
array ‘type name’ is negative
make[2]: *** [/home/andy/Desktop/emc2/emc2/src/rtapi/rtai_rtapi.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/home/andy/Desktop/emc2/emc2/src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.22-realtime'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

Here is the relevant section of code:

static int msg_level = RTAPI_MSG_INFO;  /* message printing level */
#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(2,6,0)
MODULE_PARM(msg_level, "i");
#else
#include <linux/param.h>
module_param(msg_level, int, S_IRUGO | S_IWUGO);  <= **line 128**
#endif
MODULE_PARM_DESC(msg_level, "debug message level (default=3)");

Any suggestions on what I should do next? Was a bug fixed in 2.1.7 that
fixed the compile problem? What information can I provide on the
segfault to troubleshoot it? It seems there is a problem with the linux
headers.

Here is how I configured emc2:

./configure --with-realtime=/usr/realtime
--with-kernel-headers=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.22-realtime

I am using make and make install rather than the run in place option.

thanks! Andy

--
Andy
PGP Key ID: 0x67090A54