Kirk Wallace wrote:
> What is the best way to drive a 4hp, 90VDC, 40A spindle motor on a
> Hardinge CHNC? Some of the large DC motors I have seen, look like
> universal motors which would operate on AC or DC. Does anyone know if
> the CHNC spindle motor could  work on AC? I'm thinking, a few dimmer
> switches in parallel and a stepper to turn the dials ;). I wonder if it
> would be cheaper to go with a 3-phase motor and VFD. Thanks.
No, these motors are NOT universal motors.  You could rectify
the mains to drive the motor, but then it would draw 40 A from
the line.  You should be able to find an SCR drive for this.
You can't parallel dimmers, they can't be trusted to give the
same pulse width.  If it is a standard-frame motor, then you
could go the 3-phase and VFD route.  That may not give you the
range of speeds and torque required.  If you want smooth,
controlled reversing, then you need a DC servo drive.  If you
don't need a complete 4-quadrant servo drive, then the SCR DC
motor drives may be the way to go.  Baldor and plenty of others
make these, they show up on eBay all the time.

Jon