On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 12:17 -0500, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> Kirk Wallace wrote:
>
> > [snip]
> >
> >Where can I get more information on Hostmot2?
> >

> I think the Hostmot2 files are on the Mesa website, but my understanding
> was that they only work with the 5i22.  I should look more closely at
> the VHDL source I guess :)
>
> At the moment, there is no EMC2 driver for the HostMot2 configuration.
> Hardware that's this configurable is difficult to use in the HAL model,
> because the HAL pins you need are dependent on the configuration of the
> hardware, and can't be changed after driver load time.  This means that
> you either need to specify all of the options on the driver load line (a
> nightmare when there are so many functions), or you need to export all
> possible pins in HAL, along with enable / mode bits that allow the user
> to (re)configure the hardware in HAL.  This is difficult at best because
> some functions require other functions to be shut off, and there are
> "unintended consequences" - for example, if you enable an SPI port, that
> disables the I/O functionality on those two pins (though you can still
> read back the pin state, I believe), so what do you do if someone has
> connected those I/Os to a HAL signal?
>
> I think there will also be SPI blocks in the configurable Mesa HAL
> driver at some point, FWIW.
>
> - Steve

Are you talking about reconfiguring the 5i20 after loading EMC and the
5i20 driver? Normally, I would think, you would create the new
configuration in a new driver. It certainly would be cool to be able to
dynamically configure EMC and the 5i20, but might not be good for people
like me to know about it.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe