[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to this group and also to EMC.
>
> I have just succesfully installed Ubuntu 6.0.6 and EMC and updated it to
> 2.2 without problems.
>
> When I tried to configure EMC however, I was confronted to the latency
> issue (close to 100 uS) mentioned in the docuentation, related to MSI
> boards.
>
> My computer is a laptop Dell C610 Pentium III 1Ghz. I'm not sure what
> kind of board or chipset it uses but it looks like if I'm suffering
> exactely this issue, as when I run the latency test, the numbers are low
> (in the region of 10 uS) but aproximately every 64 seconds, it has a
> pick which tales latency up to close 100 uS as mentioned.
>
> I have followed the directions I got from linuxcnc.org page which
> includes replacing the binary module rtai_smi.ko and modify rtapi_conf,
> but when I tray to save this file with the changes done, I'm not
> permited to save it as it is "read only" and apparently, I have no
> permisions.

Run the editor from the command line, and prefix it with "sudo".
  The first time you use this after a period of time elapses, it
will ask for your password.  Use your normal user password.
Hopefully your user account is listed in the file /etc/sudoers.
if your account is "jim", then you should see something like
this in that file :
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL

%jim ALL=(ALL) ALL

Jon