You got my attention with this!  I'm a diesel likin' man myself - I have
a Mercedes diesel car and an older Ford diesel pickup and a couple of
diesel tractors.  I've often thought of doing something like you're
talking about.  I'm currently using and programming PIC microcontrollers
at work, and I'd agree with Javid that a microcontroller might be a
better fit for the job.  Seems like the hardware requirements with EMC
would be kind of an overkill?

Anyhow, I'd like to hear more about your project as it comes along.  It
might inspire me to actually do a conversion like that on a diesel motor
or two I have laying around.

Moses