Hi All

Thanks for all the informative replies. I'll pursue the references.
Sounds like it's doable, but the time/effort spent on software development
will exceed the material savings. Unless of course, a few thousand were to
be made.

I would not use gears to drive the arms, but feedscrews, forming a triangle,
much like a mechanical shovel. I did not draw that all in as it was getting
real late.
Again, my target is an entry level CNC mill, for milling of plastics, PCB,
foam...

And it's a pity I'm on the other side of the planet(South Africa), because
I'd be happy to supply a prototype to someone who's keen on working on the
software, which is not my forte'

Thanks for the prices John. I'll look into it. Freight is always a killer.

Regards
Roland