About 50 people showed up for my "Why CNC? An Introduction"
talk at Cabin Fever Expo, perhaps ten snuck out early, and
about two dozen hung around afterward for the demo. I think
a good time was had by all: the presenter wasn't injured
during the after-game melee.

I made a botch of the demo by not telling my assistant (my
daughter) which parallel port I used for the motor
controller, then fumbling around for far too long figuring
that out. However, the crowd learned how Things Go Wrong
and that problems can be fixed with the help of some
friends; my thanks to the guy who noticed that the box
had -two- parallel ports. After moving the cable, the pace
of the festivities picked right up.

I don't know who was wielding the video camera, but
there -is- a recording. Given the dim lighting, I'm
probably just a blur, so if someone could extract the audio
track, turn it into an MP3, perhaps add slide-change beeps
(I think I can do that), and put it next to the PDF of my
slides, that would be better.

The PDF is at

http://members.localnet.com/~ednisley/CNC%20Introduction.pdf

where it will stay until that account closes in February. If
anyone has a better spot, feel free to shuffle the file as
needed.

Our van's mass air flow sensor died on I-81 near Harrisburg
on Friday night, so I spend Saturday afternoon & Sunday
morning diagnosing & fixing that, rather than exhibiting my
toys & yakking with the CNC folks at the show as planned.
Swapping a MAF sensor in the Advance Auto Parts parking lot
at 19 degrees with a 20-mph breeze is -not- my idea of a
good time. The folks at the Toyota dealership confirmed my
already low opinion of Toyota's personnel, but I heroically
suppressed my urge to urinate in their Mr. Coffee.

My daughter was enchanted by the craftsmanship on display at
the Expo and gained an appreciation of what's required to
produce -perfect- work instead of doing just enough to get
by. Truly, those engines are jewelry, not machinery!

Thanks to all of you folks for -your- craftsmanship in EMC,
which made my presentation possible. I hope I showed it in
a good light and got a few people started on the CNC path.

--
Ed