Kirk Wallace wrote:

> For my own education, I am used to stepper systems not having feedback
> which would be required for EMC2 to fault on following errors. How are
> these errors being indicated?

EMC's internal step generator keeps track of the number of steps that
have been issued, and uses that as feedback.  The step generator
strictly obeys its velocity and accel limits, so if for whatever reason
EMC asks for a little more accel than the limits allow, the feedback can
fall behind, resulting in a following error.

In theory EMC will never ask for more accel or velocity than the limits
specify, but there are some very difficult cases.  One of them is
backlash compensation - the comp move is done at a fairly high velocity
and accel to get it over with as soon as possible.  If the direction
reversal that causes the compensation also demands high accel, the sum
of the two can be higher than the ini file limit.

Regards,

John Kasunich