I'm interested in turning hand drum shells. The shells will be similar
but not exact in the rough form.

I would like to manually home the headstock end of the lathe to the
diameter and length of the shell then manually home the tailstock end of
the lathe to length and diameter of the shell and use the line between
these two as the X axis.

As an example... there would be two home points: (I'm making up numbers
here!) one could be X0, Y10 and the other home point could be X24, Y7.
Then I would like the X axis to be a straight line between these two points.

I could learn to use X, Z coordinates like lathes usually use...

Anyway, can emc home like this? And if so where can I find more information?

Am I totally out in the weeds on this one?

Thanks,

Clint