It is my understanding that in a grinding machine:

1 -- Cutting forces are low.

2 -- Backlash is generally not important.

3 -- Smoothness of motion is very important.

I would suggest that before you worry about how to drive the components
in slow motion, you should tell us how you plan to drive the components
smoothly.

What are you going to use for linear (for the linear axis) bearings and
what will you use for rotary bearings? Stiction can be a major issue.
Air bearings come to mind as a possible solution.

Regarding the feed rate of .001 inch per minute and the distance of 12
inches. Am I correct in assuming that you would not be traversing that
length at that feed?  If that is true, what is the actual distance that
has to be traveled at that rate for any given "pass. A simple mechanism
to provide very high reduction ratios is the differential screw. It
does, however, have a limited range of motion.

It sounds like an interesting project. Do you have any sketches showing
the general layout?

Ken

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> look design of harmonic derive. it is compact and small. you do not want
> to have huge gear reduction box on the machines. space are limited too.
>
>> Is there some reason why simple worm and wheel drives won't work here -
>> even two or three stages with backlash adjusted out?
>>
>> Ian

Kenneth Lerman
Mark Kenny Products Company, LLC
55 Main Street