Silly thing was that the couple PCI video cards I had laying around didn't
work under X AND they increased the latency test results.  Maybe I'll grab a
few different cards.  One I tried was an S3 Virge and the other an old ATI.
There is no means in the bios for disabling the onboard video completely so
when I install from the .iso it defaults to the onboard video and doesn't
initialize the additional card and I gave up trying to get either one to
work because I couldn't get X conigured to work correctly.

But thanks for the suggestion.  I'm contemplating a mobo upgrade to one of
the top performers on the wiki once I get CAT5 out to the garage.  I may
also be moving this year (I live with my brother and am starting to look at
getting my own house, albeit smaller, but hopefully with a detached garage
so I can let things hum away whilst I sleep) so I'm dragging my feet on
that.  I'll find out Tuesday what the banks have to say...

It does run, and didn't miss a beat while running the program, just
wondering what goes on inside those little transistors when you set a
workpiece offset.  Thanks for the response Dave.  Every bit of input helps.
:)

Greg