Regarding power supplies:

Computers use regulated power supplies because the electronics require a
voltage within a relatively narrow range. You don't need a regulated
supply to drive a stepper or servo (although you might for some of the
electronics connected to them). For that reason, the answer to the
question linear or switching is neither.

Use a transformer, a diode bridge, and a capacitor. Add some fusing,
perhaps some inrush protection, and a bleeder across the capacitor.

Ken

Rafael Skodlar wrote:

...Snip...

> The reason I mentioned power supply is  I'm not sure which way to go,
> linear or switching. While switching PSU is good for computers and
> electronics in general with almost constant power use, I'm not sure
> about driving stepper motors with large current surges during acceleration.

...Snip...