  From: Jeff Epler
  To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
  Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 1:44 PM
  Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Possible bugreport needed?

  On Sat, Aug 02, 2008 at 12:43:44PM -0400, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
  > This bug has been fixed in TRUNK, so it will be in EMC2 2.3 for sure.
  > I'm not sure if it's an oversight or if there's a "good reason" why the
  > fix hasn't been backported to the 2.2 branch.  If it's just an
  > oversight, the fix will be in 2.2.6, which will be released before 2.3.

  Allowing spaces in configuration paths required a change to halcmd
  parsing that might break some working configurations.  For this reason,
  I have so far chosen not to put the fix in version 2.2.

  Basically, the emc runscript executes something like this:
      halcmd loadusr io -ini "$INIFILE"
  Let's say that infile is "/bad idea.ini".  "/bad idea.ini" goes to the
  'halcmd' program as a single positional argument, but halcmd then does a
  round of parsing and turns it into two arguments: "/bad" and "idea.ini".
  The change causes halcmd not do to this parsing, and thus avoid
  splitting the word again.

  However, this can affect valid halcmd invocations, because before this
  change you could write
      halcmd "loadusr and2 count=1"
  or
      halcmd loadusr and2 count=1
  in a shell script and get the same result.  After my change, the first
  command will be an error because "loadusr and2 count=1" (the whole thing
  taken as one argument) doesn't name a valid command.

  Jeff