wait - I thought you could do that now. Unless I don't understand what you mean.
g43.1 k[#5063-#1000] (new offset)

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/2.2/html/gcode_main.html#sub:G43,-G49:-Tool

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stuart Stevenson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2008 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] FW: Axis question

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Chris Morley

Sorry I sent this just to Steve by accident
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Emc-users] Axis question
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:43:14 +0000

What you want is 'program pause' and then a control mode change.
Feed hold is to stop/continue the programmed feed (while possibly waiting until a thread pass is done) and that is it. Feed hold would usually be used for clearing chips or stopping a cut because of a dull / chipped tool. If you had to stop the program you would start it usually at a rapid point prior to the feed line that you stopped it on.
I only ever ran a CNC lathe mind you.
What I did do sometimes is program the spindle to stop and an optional stop, so that I could measure a cut and adjust the tool offset , then continue the program. I usually only did the optional stop once or twice as of course the machine cut consistent after that. Unfortunately in EMC the operator cannot change tool offsets 'on the fly' like that, though there was some talk about it if I remember right.

Gentlemen,
  Not one to miss an opportunity to vote on matters of importance I
would like to cast another vote (I have officially registered to vote)
(possibly multiple times) for the prospect of changing tool length
offsets on the fly. :) Sounds like a very good idea to me.
thanks
Stuart

Anyways I digress, my point is one has to be specific about what one wants versus what one is saying. :)