Having been involved in the past with a low-end hardware business, I
echo Kent's thoughts. It's a horrible business to be in - slim profits
(if that) and lots of tech support.

I have a HobbyCNC board and I'm on the HobbyCNC list. The owner of that
business sells the boards unassembled to reduce costs and presumably
make a profit. Unfortunately this means their typical customer is a
person with no experience assembling boards, yet they end up giving it a
go anyway. Hardly a day goes bay without a posting on the list from
someone who has screwed up their board somehow while assembling and
testing. Not a way to get customer satisfaction. I'm not sure how or why
they keep doing it.

Andy

Kent A. Reed wrote:
> Gentle persons:
>
> I'm hearing echoes of a 30-year old story that a contributing editor of
> one of the early microcomputing magazines (maybe Kilobaud) told. He got
> a wild hair to make a simple interface card and sell it. His tale of woe
> can be boiled down to "I was losing money on every sale." What the
> manufacturing costs didn't eat, the shipping and post-sales service
> costs got. My hat is off to anyone who can keep at this business of
> selling peripheral hardware for any length of time.
>
> I am interested to see what comes of the notion of an open, generic
> (dare I say "standard") protocol for communicating with servo drivers,
> but that subject probably deserves its own email list.
>
> Regards,
> Kent

Andy
PGP Key ID: 0xDC1B5864