Dave,

Dave Keeton wrote:
> Thanks Stuart,
>               I have been asked to build a machine that can digitize
> complex parts (Landing gear). The catch is that it needs to be a "Lights
> Out Operation" - fully automated. The only way I can see to do this is
> with a gimbled head and probe on a custom built machine. Thanks for
> looking into it. I think EMC should be able to do this.
>
>           Dave
>
> On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 22:00 -0600, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
>
>> Dave,
>>    As soon as I get the cinci running and comped I will start working
>> on the probing.
>>    If you position the gimbaled head and then qualify the probe to a
>> standard you will have no issues of accuracy in the gimbaled head. You
>> would have access and accuracy.
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Dave Keeton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> How well does probing and digitizing with a gimbled type spindle work?
>>> Has any one done this. I would like to use it for digitizing complex
>>> parts.
>>>
>>>    Thanks in advance for any ideas offered...
>>>                                     Dave

thats an interesting project
i have done similar for blades and roots in turbines
the castings vary more than expected

but i always used an 'envelope' to start from ( an 'it oughtta be inside
this volume' boundary )
( and normals for each probe )
so, speeding up the process was always making the boundary closer to the
real

but, the reason they needed probing was...
the real surfaces fell outside their original expectations
;)

otherwise every one could just work to 'the numbers'

could you say something about how you approach it?

thanks
tomp