Luke,

Shameless plug follows...

Have a look at the FireBall V90:
http://www.probotix.com/FireBall_v90_cnc_router_kit/

I guarantee that you will spend WAY more trying to build one from a set of
plans, and you will not get nearly as much performance. We use precision
Thomson rails, acme lead screws, and a commercial grade cast z-axis.

You can join our Yahoo group and see some of the really amazing things the
guys are making with this machine.

For CAD/CAM software, there is no easier to use package out there than the
Vectric software. It is windows based, but will run inside of Wine on
Ubuntu. Cut2D will do most of what you will ever need on a 2.5D mill.

DolphinCAM recently dropped the prices of their software.

It's unfortunate that no one has an affordable Linux based CAM solution,
yet.