Maybe you could convert a car washer? Might be washers of different style,
but my friendly gas station scrapped their portal style washer some months
ago. It traveled on floor rails and was big enough to cope with large vans.

-----Original Message-----
From: Noel & Di [mailto:n...@igrin.co.nz]
Sent: den 18 mars 2009 19:22
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] BIG CNC machine for making small airplane?

Hi all !
Now this is just a concept to provoke some thought.  What about an
"open-frame" machine?
Say we  make a wide "railway line" of chain on a  large concrete floor -
bolted down to the floor like (maybe raised 100mm or so on steel
stand-offs).  Then we construct a "trolley" style gantry the width of
the fuselage, or wing-chord, which claws it's way along the track with
LARGE sprockets, running on the floor with rubber wheels.  A strip of
angle or some such down the center of the "tracks" to provide steerage
for the trolley-gantry
Accuracy dependent on the floor being level, but for this project 5mm
should be easily accommodated.
Cheers
Noel