Mark Wendt (Contractor) wrote:
> I sysadmin'd a bunch of those behemoth Alpha 8400's.  They really
> were a joy to administer.  DEC did those ones right - we hardly ever
> had any hardware maintenance to worry about.  Clustering was a
> wunnerful thing for system(s) uptime, especially on critical
> production machines.  Too bad they let that all slip away.
>
> You are talking about CISC, right? ;-)

VAX was CISC, but done with a clean sheet, and following and expanding
on the general PDP-11 layout.

Alpha was a very clean RISC design.

I'm not sure X86 can even be called CISC, more like cobbled
abomination.  Have you ever heard of Virtual DMA Services on the X86?
Doing some digging many years ago, I discovered there is a virtual IBM
PC (original 8088, 4 MHz clock, interrupt controller chip, DMA
controller chip, etc) implemented in all 386, 486 and Pentium chips.
This allows those games that were loaded from DOS but then took over the
whole system to be played on Windows 3.1 and later.  Yucchhh!  So, all
the I/o ports and  auxilliary chip registers are implemented to
virtualize a game's playing with the DMA controller.

Jon