So now that I know what motor and chips are involved, what exactly am
I looking for to determine the "correct" values?

There is another chip mentioned.. An "L6506 - Current Controller for
Stepper motors" that mentions that it works along with the L298.

The only timing value I can find on the spec sheet is a "Response
time" value:

Typical:  0.8us (microseconds?) and Max of 1.5us

- Michael