my lathe was lacking a spindle index sensor and quadrature encoder, so
I built one as follows:

The code rings are printed on plain paper with an inkjet printer, and
laminated into a plastic pouch; then cut with a scissor and glued
to the spindle pulley (with some pressure so as to get a reasonably
flat surface). The pulley on my lathe is 18cm in diameter and has
about 2cms wide space for the code rings. Laminating the paper into
the a plastic pouch protects the printout very well against oil and
cooleant.

The sensor are reflex couplers - I had CNY70's at hand, so I used
those. The schematic is unspectacular: http://static.mah.priv.at/cnc/index.pdf
  . The couplers are mounted at about 1.5mm distance from the codewheel.

- edit codewheel parameters in the Postscript source file to your
liking: http://static.mah.priv.at/cnc/codewheel.ps - the parameters
are reasonably documented.

Pictures: http://mah.priv.at/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=68003

-Michael