Thanks all for the responses.  I was hoping for a linux based font so I can
use Chris Radek's Truetype-tracer.  Dave Engvall's wife forwarded me a good
link as well.  I will look through the links provided and see if there is a
way to get them through the tracer program.

Does anyone know how to import fonts into Ubuntu?

Brian

>Hi Brian,
My husband forwarded your email to me about your needing to find a font
without the a having what you are calling a hat. I think the font you need
to find will be a manuscript font, more specifically D'Nealian or Zaner
Bloser.
Here is a link that might be helpful:
http://www.internet4classrooms.com/kplus_writing.htm#font
Good luck!