Hi Ian,

The signal lines are FAR more sensitive to noise than the stepper lines.
It is virtually impossible to pick up enough noise on the motor lines to
affect the motor. I don't think your Z axis problem was directly related
to pickup on the motor wires. It is possible that there was some noise
picked up and it was re-radiated in your control cabinet.

I always try to keep the signal lines as short as possible, especially
in noisy environments.

Les