On Thursday 07 January 2010, Neil Baylis wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Can anyone recommend a graphics card that's known to play nice with
>EMC, and which has a DVI output?
>
>I just bought an NVIDIA card for my computer, and it works OK, but I
>found out that all NVIDIA cards are not recommended. So I was planning
>to get an ATI card instead, if there's reason to think it will work
>with EMC.

While they (nvidia) aren't recommended, they will work (until they die, which
2 of them have for me).  You just have to use the vesa driver because all the
other drivers play havoc with the real time that emc needs.  I have a truly
elderly 'tnt' that is working relatively well for me with the vesa driver,
running at the max res vesa can manage on that old card, 1024x768.

>As it is, my EMC computer has a VGA with built in Intel graphics. This
>won't work for me, as I want to connect it to my DVI monitor. Believe
>it or not, I have no VGA monitor, and don't want to get one.

I also have a test mule in the garage that is using a 2 year old samsung 22"
HDTV receiver whose tuner died, but the rest it works nicely, running on the
db15 connector from an ATI 9250 SE card.  So there is another possibility.

>Thanks,
>
>Neil Baylis

Cheers, Gene

Q:      What's tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
A:      A canary with the super-user password.