On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 09:22:38AM -0600, Lee Barry wrote:
> I'm just learning about EMC2 so please forgive me if this question has
> already been addressed elsewhere. I could not find any mention of it in
> the user manuals or email archives. I am converting to EMC2 from Mach3
> software to control my 3 axis mill. Mach3 has a feature that prevents it
> from starting a new motion (forces it to pause) if one of the parallel
> port input pins is in a particular state. In my current system, I use a
> signal called "at speed" from my spindle controller (VFD) to drive that
> pin. It gives me a measure of confidence that the system will not try to
> start a cut if the spindle has not ramped up to speed or if it has
> encountered some error and stopped or slowed down. I would appreciate
> any guidance you could give me on how I could implement a similar
> feature using EMC2.

You have several choices.  To get the behavior you describe, you
could use motion.feed-hold.

To get a much smarter behavior where the machine can rapid into place
(G0 moves) while the spindle is spinning up, but then pause and wait
for the spindle before starting a cut, you should hook your VFD's
signal to motion.spindle-at-speed.

spindle-at-speed also pauses motion at the right time for CSS mode and
threading on lathes, and rigid tapping for mills.

EMC's motion controller's interface to HAL is described pretty
completely here:

http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/config_emc2hal.html#r1_1

Chris