> What do they do?
>
> I get the impression that they are lathe roughing cycles (turning,
> facing, boring?) If so then the same thing can be easily performed by
> simple loops in G-code.
>
> I even think it is possible to create user-defined G-codes (which
> could contain the loops) but I can't find the relevant documentation.
>
> My approach has been to write a general-purpose lathe G-code program
> that takes target X and Z along with cut, feed and surface speed from
> a Pyvcp panel. Buttons let you choose the required operation (turning,
> facing, boring, parting, drilling, threading).
> I find it works well for simple rectilinear components.
>
> --
> atp

I refer to the G71,G72 and G73 codes for lathes as defined by Fanuc and HAAS
and equivalent L95 in Siemens 810T.  They are stock removal cycles based on
a given profile consisting of any sequence of contiguous G1 and G2/G3
sections in the profile.

In the Siemens 810T control you specify the profile in a GCODE subroutine.
Then you define cutting speeds, roughing and finishing depths, starting
points etc. in the G72 type cycle (called L95), which calls the subroutine
for the profile.

To do it by hand coding you would have to calculate by hand the starting
point and end point for each cut. These points can be anywhere on the
profile. This is the main advantage of these cycles, which does all the
point calculations in the control.

Rudy

database 4938 (20100312) __________

http://www.eset.com