Ok, time to 'fess up.... back in the 60's when I was in
grammar school (high school) we had chemistry lessons last
thing on a friday afternoon. Now in those days in the UK we
were still on the 'old money' and our copper pennies were
about an inch in diameter. We also had a coin made of nickel
called a half crown - worth 2 shillings and 6 pence - which
was the same diameter as a penny. Now guess what some of us
lads sometimes did on a friday afternoon before we caught
the service bus home - yup, you got it, we mercury plated
some pennies and when the harrassed bus conductor came down
the bus for our fares, pushing his way through and being
jostled by a horde of kids, he would be handed one of the
plated pennies. More often than not, he would just glance at
it, put it in his bag and issue the ticket along with the
change for half a crown. I know now that it was a rotten
thing to do, but in those days when many of our families
were poor, it helped us buy the latest Elvis record which
would be played in the common room at school ....
Funny thing is, even though we dunked the pennies in
Mercuric Chloride and then rubbed the mercury plating with
our fingers to dull it down a bit, I still see some of the
other lads who did it far more often than me and I haven't
heard of any of them suffering any long-term effects.....

Ian