darcys...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am experiencing some odd direction changes on a home-brew CNC
> machine that I have on loan.
> The machine was apparently purchased off ebay, and all the settings I
> dug out from data sheets for the driver chips and motors.
>
> X and Y are working well, but Z (which has a similarly spec'ed but
> different motor from the other two) decides to change direction at
> random.
> The basic behavior is that when you push the jog button in a certain
> direction you don't know which direction it will go
There could be a problem in the direction signal from the computer to
the stepper driver.
You should be able to observe this with even a voltmeter, as it only
changes when you change direction.

But, I'm taking a bit of a wild guess and thinking that you are only
driving ONE of the motor's two phases.
It could be a bad driver or motor, but also could very easily be a bad
connection between them.  So, I'd check the wires carefully.
If that doesn't show anything, then I'd check the voltage across the
coils with a voltmeter.  There should be some voltage across the coils
any time the driver is on.  If it is a bipolar driver, then it is
simple.  If a unipolar, then you have to check that half of the coil
that is currently being driven.  If you get no voltage across the coil,
the driver is suspect.  If you have voltage across the winding, then ohm
out the motor's coils, as it could be an open coil.

Jon