Hey,

I have just gotten a spindle encoder working on a Bridgeport 1J (step
pulley) head.  There's no sane way to couple to the spindle, the only
way is to install gear tooth sensors that read the teeth of the bull
gear.  I am going to write up a web page on it in the next couple days.

I just got EMC doing the very first cut at rigid tapping with it.  If I
go much over 750 RPM, the Z axis gets a following error at the spindle
reversal.  Right now, the spindle control is just a
run-forward/run-reverse contact closure, I need to hook up an analog
speed command so it can ramp up/ramp down the speed more smoothly, like
I do on the minimill.  But, this is really cool!  For a long time, I
didn't think this could even be done in the limited space inside the
Bridgeport head.

Jon