in the summer of 2006, having bought those cheap Sanyo motors that
surpluscenter was selling then, I thought I had time to complete
something like this. And I did get as far as actually rotating the
motor with control by emc2/mesa5i20 card
http://www.anderswallin.net/2006/06/first-steps-with-brushless-servodrive-microchip-dspic-irf-irams/

I chose a then novel dsPIC because it had hardware PWM-generation and
an encoder counter. I chose the IRF IRAMS power-stage because it
seemed to be the simplest way of doing things. I didn't plan on a
current-loop, but there were current-sense resistors on the powerstage
 for overload protection.
I'd agree mostly with what was posted earlier: the challenge is on the
analog side of things, particularly current-sensing and overload
protection etc. when dealing with high voltages and currents (your
average EE101 class does not teach this...)

Anders