Andrew,
  Using the knee is a very effective and useful method to adjust for minor
differences in tool length - do not apologize for this. I have used it many
times.
EMC2 has a tool table with a column for tool lengths. The gcode can access
the lengths in the column and rows to adjust the tool motion.
It sounds as if you could test the tool length file - ex. tool.tbl - with
different values to determine how you wished to use the tool lengths.
Study the G43 and related gcodes.
thanks
Stuart

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Speaker To-Dirt
<speaker_2_d...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Hi All:
>
>   Being new to EMC 2 and g-code I have yet another question to ask. When
> you do a tool change what's the best procedure for determining the tool
> length, and then how do you communicate that to the g-code? I hate to admit
> this, but I've been using the knee to adjust out the differences in length
> from one tool to another.
>
>    I'd love to hear how other people do it, esp how it's done in industry,
> and hwo EMC2 expects you to do it.
>
> Thanks
> Andrew

dos centavos