Just wanted to mention an alternative, since you have an iPhone.

There's a great app available for iPhone called touchOSC. It was built for
using the iPhone as a controller for musical devices, such as synthesizers,
drum machines, samplers, etc. It comes with a bunch of inbuilt control
panels, as well as the ability to define your own control panels.

I have a plan to use it to control my laser machine, which runs with EMC. I
have some prototype code to receive the UI events from touchOSC, but have
not integrated anything into EMC yet.

There's a public domain C library that is widely used for sending and
receiving OSC protocol, called "liblo" and that what I'm using initially.
Ultimately, my laser application will be written in Common Lisp, so I will
probably abandon liblo in favor of a lisp library.

Anyway, for controlling music devices, it works very well. I have no doubt
that it will also work for some EMC systems, depending on the particular
needs.

Neil

http://www.pixpopuli.com