On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 22:22 -0700, "Speaker To-Dirt"
<speaker_2_d...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> For what it's worth. I stumbled across this by accident..... At a tool
> change take your tool to an area where there's still a surface z0.000.
> End the move with z1.000. Remove the tool, and insert the new tool.
> Now use a clamp arm from your clamp kit that is 1" on a side. Raise or
> lower the knee until your tool is just touching the upper surface of
> your clamp arm. You're now indexed 1.00x inches above your work.

Be careful with this.  Clamps sets are not precision items.  If you
measure your 1" thick clamps with a micrometer, I wouldn't be at all
surprised to find that one clamp is 1.004, and another is 0.998.  I'd
only be a little surprised to find that a single clamp is 1.001 at
one end and 1.003 on the other end.

A dowel pin works great for this - very precise, and you can simply
push it against the side of the tool, then raise the tool (or lower
the knee) slowly until the pin rolls under.

Don't lower the tool onto the dowel (or a clamp, or any other piece
of metal).  It doesn't take much to chip the edge of a carbide tool,
or dull a steel one.

John Kasunich
--
  John Kasunich