Numbered pots with a lookup table of which pot number currently is holding
which tool number is majorly useful.

If there are tools in the pots, but the machinist does not know which tool
number they are, he can get the pot number, look up the tool number and get
it in MDI.

This is all too common when one shift inherits tools from another.
The tools could have been in there for a while, a pot/tool reference is a
great tool to have then.