In emc2 there are a couple of different linked together components.
MAX_VELOCITY and MAX_ACCELERATION are variables that are used by the motion
controller (trajectory planner to be precise) when doing calculations for
the next position the machine should go to.
If you have a servo machine the output is fed to PID and from there to the
motor, etc.

For a stepper machine we have a step generator (stepgen) on each joint.
The stepgenerator takes the next position from the traj planner and converts
that to output pulses.
In order not to exceed maximum step rates (which in a stepper would result
in stalling and lost steps), the stepgen has an additional limit called
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL.
It is an absolute limit on the pulses that come out of stepgen, and it acts
as a "safety" feature in case the traj planner commands the joint to do
something it cannot do.
(for a sevo machine the PID would just satturate, and the joint would still
move as hard as it could without exceeding MAX_VEL, MAX_ACCEL).

So, you will have to set STEPGEN_MAXACCEL a bit higher than
MAX_ACCELERATION - usually 10-15% is enough.
If you set STEPGEN_MAXACCEL equal or less to MAX_ACCEL then your joint will
lag behind. when stepgen sees the commanded move, it's already a bit behind,
so if it starts accelerating slower than the traj planner tells it to, it
will drop further behind and you'll get a following error.
If the margin is not enough (STEPGEN_MAXACCEL equal or just a tiny bit
bigger than MAX_ACCELERATION), the stepgen will only shortly lag behind
commanded position, which will be corrected at the end of the move - so
you'll see a bit of overshoot.

Regards,
Alex