Igor Chudov wrote:
> I am not too far from adding a 4th axis to my Bridgeport Interact
> mill. The 4th axis will be a servo driven rotary table that sits
> vertically on the milling table, so that the axis of the rotary ta ble
> is parallel to X.
>
> I have a question, inspired by a recent discussion.
>
> Let's say I wanted to mill a helical spiral.
>
> Can I use EMC2 to instruct the milling table to move along X at a
> given velocity, while at the same time, the rotary table is turning
> with another given angular rotational speed. In other words, can I
> specify two speeds, one for XYZ move and another for the angular
> speed?

You can't specify two speeds, but you can decide how much to rotate the
A axis (A is parallel to X) during the XYZ move.

This is how the manual describes combined linear and rotary motion:  "If
any of XYZ are moving, F is in units per minute in the XYZ cartesian
system, and all other axes (UVWABC) move so as to start and stop in
coordinated fashion"  So, if you want to make a helical groove that
wraps around the workpiece 3 times, you need to perform a 1080 degree
move (3 * 360) along with whatever the XYZ move is:

G1 X 3 A 1080 F 1

The line above will make a single groove that wraps around the stock 3
times, with 1 inch spacing between, and it will take 3 minutes to
complete (F1 for 3 inches = 3 minutes).

So basically the rotational speed is adjusted so that the rotation takes
the same amount of time as the linear motion.

- Steve