John,

I've been checking the integrators manual, and yes Encoder and Encoder_Sim
HAL components are described, but references to the Canonical Encoder
interface are done.

So I understand, they are different things:

a)Encoder at section 8.6 of the integrator manual is more like the
description of a particular software implementation already present in HAL.

b)Canonical encoder (or canonical *) is more like what should be the
elements that an EMC developer should expect/consider to exist in any EMC
compatible encoder (*) interface, should it be a HAL software encoder (*) or
the HAL interface to the real encoder (*) present in a for example
MOTENC-100 card.

Also, references to canonical digital input and output are done in the
Integrator's manual, but the document at which they should be found (HAL
user manual), is not referenced except in one place, in which the canonical
encoder interface is referred to be in the HAL user manual.

--literally--
encoder.<chan>.reset (bit, In) – See the canonical encoder interface section
of the HAL
manual.
--end literally--

I don't know if the canonical concept is a fundamental one to the
understanding of EMC, I think it can, at least for the elements that one
should expect to found in standard retrofit projects.
If that is intended encoder looks like such standard element and then should
be described along other canonical interfaces.

If the canonical concept is not that interesting I think that references to
the canonical interface should be removed, at least those to elements that
do not have a canonical interface definition.

Thanks,

Javier