On 03/23/2011 12:52 PM, Fred Kehler wrote:
> great list!
> I have had this error popping up all the time since I upgraded to the 10.04
> distribution ( seldom on the 8.04, same computer)
>
> and the isolcpu=1 seems to have solved it...
>
> does it follow then that the second cpu in this case is not being managed by
> the realtime kernel?

No, the second cpu is *only* running the realtime kernel (I think unless
an application explictly uses it), and everything else is put on the
first cpu.

> I am currently running my emc on the second core 'taskset 2 emc ***.ini',
> and it seems impervious to the dreaded error message, regardless as to what
> else I run on the machine...
> but am I safe in running this way?  am I still getting realtime performance
> on the core that has been isolated on bootup?
>
> thank you to all the contributors!

You should be getting better realtime performance on that core now,
since nothing else should be using it.  The realtime stuff only uses one
core anyhow (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but with isolcpu it gets
the core to itself.

Moses