Rando Sauvage wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am an EMC2 user and currently I am doing some pieces which take
> several hours to mill.
> So, I would like to run my CNC while I am not at home (eg while I am
> at work), but still want to take an eye on my CNC through an IP camera
> + *get the possibility to remote control the AXIS GUI* (this is the
> important part ;-))
>
> Basically what I would need is:
> 1) Remotely pause and continue a running GCode program.
>
> 2) While the program is paused, I need to be able to stop the spindle
> and the lube (these one are important because eg if the mill broke, I
> need to stop the spindle ASAP. but I don't know if it is possible
> since I can't stop the spindle from AXIS while a program is paused)
>
> I did some research but I am a bit lost ... I found that maybe I could
> use "axis-remote" or "emcrsh" ?
> Which one is should I use ? (remember that I want to keep axis running
> on my EMC2 machine).
> Can someone show me what to do to pause a running program ? (eg
> "axis-remote --mdi ?????")

You don't need any IP cameras or other hoo-ha to remote control EMC.  Of
course, if you want to see the actual machine, an IP camera is a
reasonable way of doing that.

EMC has been designed from the start to allow multiple user interfaces,
which can be on a remote machine if you like.  This is in addition to
the option of running a remote X session, or remote desktop software
such as VNC.

The NML messaging system allows you to set up channels as being remote.
I believe there are sample server.nml and client.nml files in the sample
configs directory (maybe in common/ or something).

You can run AXIS on the EMC machine and start a program running.
When you get to work or wherever, fire up Axis, tkEMC, mini, emcrsh -
whatever, and if the NML file is configured correctly, you will connect
to the remote machine.  Both UIs will be running, and either could take
control - if someone at home smells smoke and hits ESC on that keyboard,
the machine will stop.  You will see the change in machine state on your
remote UI.  Similarly, you can hit ESC to stop the machine, and the UI
on the PC controlling the machine will show what you have done.

There are a couple of caveats to this:
1) I'm pretty sure that nothing bad happens, but you should experiment
with running a part and then starting another UI.  Specifically, try
AXIS - I don't know whether it will happily connect to a running EMC or
if it will load its "splash file" and stop the machine.
2) Specific to AXIS, you would need a command-line option to disable the
creation of HAL pins on the remote control PC.  That machine isn't
likely to (and doesn't need to) run an RT kernel, and besides you don't
want HAL running on your machine at work, since it's not connected to
the machine anyway.
3) File handling is a little weird with remote machines.  You need to
have the loaded file available at the same path on all machines you want
to run UIs on.  NML doesn't transfer the file, and the status buffer has
the full path name to the file, so if you want to see the code as it's
executing, you'll need to make sure you have the same file in the same
location on the remote PC.

Remote X is an option, but it's probably not the best in the case you're
talking about.  You could remote into the box and run another UI
"locally", you'd just see the window on the remote workstation.  This is
equivalent to running two UIs on the same PC at the same time, so if you
experiment with that on the EMC machine, it's the same as far as EMC is
concerned when you access the UI from work.

VNC is the heaviest protocol for this, but has the advantage of running
only one instance of the UI, and also requiring no configuration of EMC.

Hope this helps
-Steve