On 4/22/2011 5:26 PM, Robert Pabon wrote:
> Man my head is starting to spin! No wonder people just go with steppers and
> call it a day. Maybe my vision is clouded by ignorance but it doesn't seem
> like it should be that hard to pick up a brushless DC motor, a suitable amp
> and make it work. Obviously it would be easier to just buy a sorted
> motor/driver, but then it would be easier to buy a sorted CNC machine as well.
>
> So getting back to the motor amp combination for a second someone have a look
> at hese for a minute and tell me what you think.
>
> This is the motor I am using:
>
> http://www.servodynamics.com/Drawing/23S-IE.pdf
>
> I am using the IG23CS-64-IE2000-S
>
> Servo dynamics recommends the  1224-BLS driver for this motor. The 1224BL is
> the comparable amp:
>
> http://www.servodynamics.com/Specs/1224bl_spec.pdf
>
> And here are the amps I was looking at using:
>
> http://www.a-m-c.com/download/datasheet/bd30a8.pdf
>
> Servo dynamics says I am fine driving with either sinusoidal or trapezoidal.
> The AMC is trapezoidal. Obviously need to add a filter card, but otherwise it
> looks to be in the ballpark. Opinions?

Okay, I'm getting a bit overwhelmed here too.  I'm currently using
steppers on my saw beveler, but have future thoughts of upgrading to a
servo based system.  So, if what Robert shows as necessary, for one axis
I'd need a servo, an amp, a driver, a bunch of cards for the pc end of
the affair, an O scope, tons of other test equipment...

Have I left anything out?  ;-)

I'm really beginning to wonder if it's worth the expense.

Mark