> Phu... I guess I have to learn some OpenGL. And I wanted to look at
> OpenCL for tool path generation, single precision floating points would
> will most probably be sufficient for tool path generation, I guess.
>
> Did you think about using the GPU to do the calculations for the simulation?

There are one or two papers by Tukora about this:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BalazsTukora
and
http://dx.doi.org/10.1201/9780203859476.ch93

I don't know much about GPU-based algorithms, but I think it's based
on doing boolean operations between two tri-dexel models (one for the
stock, one for the tool) quickly in parallel.
The isosurface algorithm can probably also be parallellized on a GPU.

If the opencamlib cutting simulation can be made to run fast enough
with straight c++ on a CPU then I'm not so keen on learning OpenCL and
introducing special hardware requirements. Right now the stock-update
takes milliseconds and triangle extraction tens of milliseconds.

> For now I'll try to set up a build environment for your libraries. I'm
> on Windows 7 (64 bit) most of the time. Would you suggest to switch to
> Ubuntu? I would probably be easier to set-up reverting to compile your
> libraries, right?

Dan Heeks and others have built opencamlib on windows using the visual
studio project file in SVN. The free visual studio express does not
have OpenMP support (for multi-threading).
Using cmake and gcc on linux is probably easier. I have upgraded my
machines to Ubuntu 11.04 now.
It might be possible to use the same tools on Windows using cygwin,
but I haven't tried.

Anders