I have need to parse a gcode file and I'd like to do it in Python. It
seems that wheel must have already been invented and I'd rather not
reinvent it. I got the source for grecode, written in c++. I could adapt
from that but I think it would be overkill for the simple task I'm
trying to do.

I'm new to Emc2, but catching on. The machine is a knee mill that will
require manual gear changes. What I want to do is write a filter to
parse a gcode file for spindle speed settings, and when found, insert
M100 Pn Sxxx (where n is the needed gear setting, and xxx is the motor
speed for that gear). During a run, another program named M100 (already
written in python) will prompt the operator to change the gears
according to n.

Anyone know of Python code that will parse gcode, at least well enough
for this simple task?

Any other comments are welcome, such as "can't get there from here."

Thanks.

Karl