On 06/21/2011 02:48 PM, Peter Loron wrote:
> On 06/21/2011 02:35 PM, Jack Coats wrote:
>> One thought, that others will undoubtedly shoot down,
>>
>> For your 'temporary backup' solution, install dropbox.
>> Put the files you want in there.
>> Re-install your machine, then put drop box on and get your
>> configs back.
>>
>> Then if you want, un-install dropbox.
>>
>> Or use ubuntuone.
>>
>> Both have 2G for free.
>>
>> Don't consider this 'safe storage'.  I am sure it can be hacked, but
>> it is convenient for non-'secure' data.
>
> Dropbox is very handy. But, as Jack said, don't put anything sensitive
> on there. OR encrypt it first.

What I've done before for these kinds of things is use tar and netcat to
copy the file system to another machine on the local network. And for
peace of mind I'll also make a copy of the home directory to a flash
drive. Shouldn't need any offsite storage.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. My main concern was due to my lack of
experience with emc2, and not knowing if I was going to need anything
other than in /home.

And thanks for the idea about the version control system for the configs.

Karl