In the past I have thought that it would be great to have a feature in
EMC2 like the C pre-processor, that would do some automatic replacements
to allow the original G-code to be more readable.  It seems like two
threads here can collide, and the solution for the thread on
substituting A for E could give us a solution to the named subroutines
problem.

the previous solution used filters in the ini file:

This is my filter section in .ini
        [FILTER]
        PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .png,.gif,.jpg Greyscale Depth Image
        PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .py Python Script
        PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .gcode Extruder gcode
        png = image-to-gcode
        gif = image-to-gcode
        jpg = image-to-gcode
        py = python
        gcode = E2A

This is E2A that was run from outside of AXIS before
        #!/bin/bash
        sed -e 's/\( E\)\([0-9]*\)/ A\2/' $1
Guru comments on this?

Here we just have to adjust our sed line to get editing scripts from a
file like so

        sed -f subroutines.sed $1

now we can have scripts to replace text subroutine names with the
numbers EMC2 seems to like so much, IE:

             s/rectangular-pocket/500/
             s/peck-drill/501/
             s/leave-a-tab/502/

Now you can use whatever names look good to you, and before EMC2 sees
the code, it will be changed to a simple number.  It will only replace
the first instance of the phrase on each line, so if you put the
subroutine name in a comment at the end of the line, it will survive
sed, but will let you keep track of subroutines in AXIS.

Comments anybody?