On 10/18/2011 02:34 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> My suspicion is is that I have worn out the SSD after a year of dozens
> of EMC2 compiles every night. (If I had known I was going to use the
> machine this way I wouldn't have used an SSD). Does this sound likely?
>
> Getting the data off the SSD ought to be easy enough (if it still
> works read-only, which I suspect it will) if I can find some way to
> connect it to something else. I have an eSATA port, but would need an
> adaptor to plug in the SSD which is SATA + separate 5V connector. I
> hopefully have a remote backup too. (I took a "Snapshot" in Xcode. I
> am hoping that does what I think it does)

You could try booting to a Ubuntu (or EMC2) live CD and either copy data
to a flash drive, or copy it over the network to another machine using
netcat.

There are plenty of pages on the Internet describing how to do this with
netcat. Here's one
http://www.g-loaded.eu/2006/11/06/netcat-a-couple-of-useful-examples/
I personally like using tar at the front end to combine and compress files.

Karl